History of 3013 Libby Terrace
Strict Standards: Non-static method nggallery::get_option() should not be called statically in /home/content/80/6318180/html/__comwise_clients/churchhillva.com/wp/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/nggfunctions.php on line 10
After a couple of afternoons dizzying ourselves with the microfilms readers at the Library of Virginia, this is the history we have been able to piece together so far:
- 1656 Massacre at Bloody Run, a few yards from this property (link)
- 1737 William Byrd names Richmond for the view from this site, which reminds him of the view at Richmond-on-Thames, England (link)
- 1865 “In the summer after the Surrender, a camp of Negro infantry occupied the heights of Libby Hill.”
- 1881 This house built as 3009 E. Main Street
- 1894 Unveiling of the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument at the end of the block, near Libby Hill Park; a Confederate sailor, Robert “Fighting Bob” Wright may have been living in the house at this time (or at the current 3009), probably as a tenant. (link)
- 1900 House owned from about 1901 to at least 1917 by James H. Blair and wife Rosa M. He ran Blair Pharmacy at 9th and Broad St.
- 1906 Houses on the block renumbered to accommodate building, house becomes 3013 E. Broad St. This means 1906 is the earliest date for the stained glass over the front door!
- 1925 Church Hill train tunnel collapse (link)
- 1934 House owned by Homer and Dora Duckett
- 1950s The two blocks of E. Main east of Libby Hill Park are renamed Libby Terrace…house becomes 3013 Libby Terrace
- 1958 House is willed by Homer Duckett to John and Constance Bolden, non-relatives. They use it as an investment property, and it becomes “The Tenant House”.
- 1970 A contributing structure to St. John’s Church Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places. (link)
- 1995 A murder in the house (remembered by a neighbor, a domestic knifing in the the front bedroom…we will be hunting for newspaper articles and police reports)
- 2008 House foreclosed from the Boldens’ daughter and her husband